A Blog Dedicated to the Fine Art of Thrifting.
Enjoy shopping with us and reading about the stories behind the treasures. We welcome your comments and special requests.


Friday, August 27, 2010

What is a KIKOY?


We learn something new every time we go out on a treasure hunt. I came across these colorful cloths last week. They were woven cotton with cool twisted fringes. What were they? They weren't big enough for a table cloth and they were too big for a scarf. One had a tag that said'The Kikoy Co' with a website. Ah I can research this one! So I bought them because I like the colors. Turns out they are Kikoys which are really just wraps or sarongs from Africa. They are a traditional clothing item but many use them for beach cover-ups, wraps or even picnic and beach blankets. They are actually quite versitile. According to the website, they get softer and more comfortable with wear and washing. I found it interesting that people have their favorite Kikoy that they bring with them everywhere. I'm glad I picked them up. They are quite beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment